Opportunity: Permaculture Garden Co-Manager
Organization: Greenshire Eco Farms
Location: Lindsay, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
Greenshire Eco Farms (est. 2009) of Lindsay, Ontario is looking for one or two people to co-manage our award-winning permaculture gardens. The successful candidate(s) will live on the farm (unless you live close enough to commute regularly). Responsibilities will include but are not limited to all garden tasks, giving tours, attending Greenshire operations meetings, going to farmers’ markets, exhibiting at events and selling/delivering to restaurants.
This position does not pay a cash salary. In return for a commitment and completion of labour during the 2014 growing season we are offering a 3.0% ownership in our 100-acre property and business.* A further 0.25% ownership may be offered each year for the next 4 years to new partners signing stewardship commitments beyond their probationary period. Greenshire land and business have been valued at $500,000 and your 3% ownership share has a value of $15,000. All hours worked will count as sweat equity towards your $15,000 partnership share. Sweat equity is calculated at minimum wage. Payment for labour logged after completion of payment for ownership share will occur through profit-sharing based on percentage of total labour logged by all Greenshire partners.
Please apply ASAP. We are looking for someone to start in late April if possible but no later than May 1st.
• You are a graduate of a permaculture design course OR have equivalent experience. This opportunity is perfect for those who want to own land but can’t afford to on their own, and would like to join an existing permaculture operation and burgeoning eco-community with tailored payment options.
• You embrace the idea of living in a sociable community and the concept of ‘tiny houses’ as you will share housing with another partner and her toddler, an intern who is a potential partner, as well as a renter and his two sons on weekends only. (Unless you live off the farm.)
• You are organized and log garden data for further analysis.
• You are clean and tidy (your self and your habits).
• You are a team player but you also work well on your own.
• You have a passion for clean food, soil, water and air.
• You know your strengths and weaknesses, and are willing to contribute through strengths and work on your weak areas.
• You will have taken a food safety course OR be willing to do one.
• You are enthusiastic and take initiative.
Please visit our website: www.greenshireecofarms.com
Send your cover letter, resume and references to:
Cindy MacDonald or Michelle Nickerson